Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shading with Stencils and Woven Ribbon Frame Tutorial

Today I have a very pretty home decor project to share.  I had a difficult time photographing this to show it to it's best advantage.   It uses the Folk Flowers stencils from the occasions mini catalog and the gorgeous Soft Suede grosgrain ribbon.  

With stencils it is so easy to add subtle shading to a design.  Using a sponge dauber, colors naturally blend from one to the next creating a gradient of colors.  I was also experimenting stenciling on vellum and will be posting those projects soon.  The softness of the shading on vellum is so lovely!  For today's project I stenciled on Sahara Sand cardstock to create bolder colors to coordinate with the darker frame.

The frame is an inexpensive square wooden frame.  The polka-dot ribbon is reversible which when woven creates an interesting pattern.  The texture is just yummy!  The design in the center is removable so I plan to make other fun focal images to be able to change this frame to fit the seasons.

A couple small tips for using the stencils: 
1. Secure cardstock to stamping surface with tape or temporary adhesive.  
2. Position stencil over paper. (Easy to do because the stencil is see-thru.)  Tape the edges of the stencil to hold it in place.
3. When shading the design, start outside the cut area of the stencil and begin to swirl the dauber on the plastic, gradually moving into the cut out areas.  (You can see below the ink on the edges of the stencil.)
4.  Concentrate more ink at the edges, lessening the pressure on the dauber as you move inward.
5.  Start light and add more ink as you go.  It takes very little ink to color the images in small areas.
Here is a close up of the shading:

Woven Ribbon Frame Tutorial:
1.  On the front of the frame, mark the center of each side with small pencil marks.
2. Cut four one-inch sections of Sticky Pages the width of the frame. Apply to back of frame along outer edges.  Peel the backing from the top section only. (Remove the backing from the other sections as you get to that section.) 
3. Cut lengths of ribbon the width of the frame plus 2 inches.  Stick ribbons to back of frame starting at the top center.
4.Working from the center out, adhere strips of ribbon to back frame keeping ribbons close together but not overlapping.  Flip every other ribbon over to alternate plain with polka dots.
5.  Work all the way across the top adding longer ribbon lengths at sides.
6. Apply small pieces of Sticky Pages to the corners on the back side.  Add first horizontal ribbon to this piece.
7. Add a length of sticky strip to the front of the frame as shown.  
8. Remove backing from sticky strip and fold down every other ribbon.
9.  Bring horizontal ribbon to the front.
10.  Add another row of sticky strip, remove backing and fold remaining ribbons down.
11.  Continue adding rows of sticky strip and weaving ribbons until you reach the bottom of both narrow sides.  
12.  Add more short ribbons to bottom section and continue weaving to bottom of frame.
13.  Wrap all loose ribbon ends to back and secure with additional sticky strip.

Supplies:  Folk Flowers, Sahara Sand cardstock, Soft Suede, Bermuda Bay, and Bravo Burgundy classic ink, sponge daubers, Soft Suede polka-dot ribbon, Sticky Pages, Sticky Strip, purchased frame.

27 comments:

  1. WOW. This is beautiful. thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea for dressing up a frame! Thanks for sharing the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what a beautiful frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing in support of me to have a site, which is good in support of my experience. thanks admin
    See this: zobacz, http://ablate.katowice.pl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely feel this site needs a
    lot more attention. I'll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the information! zobacz, http://www.newyorkneedsyou.org/member/50008

    ReplyDelete
  6. bookmarked!!, I really like your web site! kliknij po szczegóły, http:
    //china.dsu.ac.kr/index.php?mid=backup&listStyle=gallery&sort_index=readed_count&order_type=desc&document_srl=17291
    Also see my site: kliknij po szczegóły

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time go to see at here and i am in fact happy to read all at one place.
    kliknij, http:
    //www.plurk.com/m/u/GeraldoZXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your
    intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be
    giving us something informative to read? link, http:
    //fjesboken.com/index.php?do=/profile-14381/info/
    My web site: link

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd figured I'd ask.

    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My website discusses a lot of the same topics as
    yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!
    click, http://ignu.

    ungi.com/tiki-index.php?page=UserPagedominicyl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful article.

    Many thanks for providing this info. strona www,
    http://www.fahrradpreisvergleich.de/

    ReplyDelete
  11. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've
    been using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another
    platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content
    into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
    szczegóły tutaj, http://nongsa119.
    nonghyupi.com/xe/index.php?mid=nong07&page=2&document_srl=1412

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm
    definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to
    new posts. sprawdĹş To, http://www.
    christkorner.com/TracyEver

    ReplyDelete
  13. This paragraph offers clear idea for the new users of blogging, that truly
    how to do blogging and site-building.

    Look at my blog; Library Movers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wszystko ludzie, których pοznałeś – słoωo w słowo wszуscy – nie pojawilі ѕię tu przуpadkowo.

    Przуszli, by Cię czеgoś nauczyć.
    Z definiсji wybieгamy sobie ludzi, jakich mamy spotkаć przed narοdzіnami.

    Aliśсi dzisіaj zagłębie się ω jakiś, ѕpесyfiсzny rοdzаj poznania, to znaczy:
    Blіѕkości Inkaгnаcyјnej.
    Podеjrzеwam, iż każdу ma w otoczeniu osobę,
    jаką znalіśmy w poprzedniсh wcielеniach… Podczas gdy to odczuć?


    my blog poѕt http://adswp.jogjacamp.info/peluang_bisnis_online_tanpa_ribet_/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and definitely will come back later in life. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts, have a nice evening!

    Feel free to visit my weblog - http://darmowe-sex-oferty.org.pl

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just could not depart your website before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard info a person provide to your
    guests? Is going to be again ceaselessly in order to investigate
    cross-check new posts

    Also visit my website :: _GET["a"] Array ( [0] =>

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added"
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three
    e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?

    Thank you!

    Here is my blog post :: saffron extract

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific article! That is the kind of info that should be
    shared across the web. Disgrace on the search engines for now not positioning this put up higher!
    Come on over and talk over with my web site . Thanks =)

    Also visit my web page - _GET["a"] Array ( [0] =>

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jedoch bitte welche aus sehr weichem Material, keine reinen
    Wollschals oder so. Verantwortlich dafür ist eine Zyste an der Wirbelsäule,
    sagen die Ärzte. Liegt wahrscheinlich daran, dass wir es
    nie schleifen lassen haben und immer wieder etwas Neues
    haben können.

    Besuchen Sie auch meine Page live strip gutschein

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there
    that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

    My blog ... http://blog.dobre-tabletki-odchudzanie.pl/odtruwanie-watroby-i-nerek/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well
    written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

    Look at my website - acai berry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, I discovered your blog via Google whilst looking for a related topic, your web site got here up, it appears to be like good.
    I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply changed into aware of your weblog thru Google, and located that it is truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I'll appreciate if you continue this in
    future. Many other folks can be benefited out of your writing.

    Cheers!

    Feel free to visit my weblog; sex

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am in fact grateful to the holder of this web site who has shared this enormous piece
    of writing at here.

    My web page - sex

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?

    I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
    Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

    Feel free to visit my web-site :: sex

    ReplyDelete
  25. I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!! I certainly loved every little bit of it.
    I've got you bookmarked to look at new stuff you post…

    My web-site; sex

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tomek i Magda też nie spali. Na nowo sąsiad z góry wrócił do domu około
    trzeciej ponad ranem i do świtu stukał, przesuwał jakieś umeblowanie, lał
    wodę do wanny, słuchał muzyki i robił wszystko,
    co chciał, całkiem. Więcej: youulike.com

    ReplyDelete