Monday, May 2, 2011

Beach Shadow Box and Sunset Cards Details

We had a wonderful Summer Mini Stampin Addict Blog hop over the weekend.  If you missed it please see this post.  You can still see all the terrific ideas by following the links. 

Today I am sharing the details of two of the projects featuring colored embossing powders.
This is an 8 X 8 shadow box frame purchased at a local craft store.  The space from the backing to the glass on the inside is about an inch so I had room for the surfboards and pail to stand away from the picture.  I put a 1/2" spacer at the back of each and secured them to the background paper.  
The fish and bubbles are embossed directly on the glass.  When stamping on glass be careful that the stamp does not slide or the image will not be clear.  Also stamp and emboss the images one at a time if using two different colors as I did here.
The turtle is a stamped impression.  To make this I stuck a 1-3/4" circle of cardstock temporarily on a strip of paper so I had a handle to hang on to while heat embossing.  I added 6 or 7 layers of embossing powder, heating in between each.  If you work quickly you can pour on the next layer of embossing powder while the last is still sticky.  Once it was thick I pressed the stamp, which had been coated with versamark, into the hot powder.  It only took a minute to harden and I then removed the stamp.
Once everything was done I poured some crushed sea shells in to the bottom.  I just love the 3D effect this created!

The powders made a lovely sunset on this card:
I started with a 3-3/4"X5" piece of glossy white cardstock and placed a 2 1/2" circle punched from a post-it note at the bottom.
I inked the background with versamark ink by pressing the pad on the paper until it was covered.  Then starting at the bottom I sprinkled on Tangerine Tango embossing powder, thickly at the bottom and gradually thinning it out.  Then I used Melon Mambo to fill in the remainder of the background.
After heating I removed the mask and sponged Daffodil Delight for the sun and Not Quite Navy near the top to mellow the pink and give a more natural look to the sunset.   I stamped the Sail Away image in Staz-on Jet Black over the top and added sails that were paper pieced from white cardstock.

The ribbon is made by running a line of sticky strip near the top and pleating Basic Black Satin Ribbon.
Here are the cardstock measurements to complete the layers of the card:
      Basic Black base- 6" X 9-3/4", folded in half
      Beyond the Garden DSP -  4-1/4" X 5-5/8"
      Basic Black layer - 3-7/8" X 5-1/8"
Note:   This larger card does not fit in a A4 envelope.  I used a 5-1/8" X 7-1/4" non-SU envelope.

1 comment:

  1. Your projects are ultracool. I especially love the turtle. I haven't done that technique in a long time and your turtle turned out especially cool. The sailboat background is also amazing. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete