Thursday, February 6, 2014

Digital Embossing Tutorial

Today's post wraps up my "mini series" of My Digital Studio technique tutorials highlighting projects from the One Big Sale-A-Bration digital ensemble.

The green panel on this card is digitally "embossed".
It has the illusion of having raised dry embossing.  
One of the stamps included with the download is called Decorative Dots.  If you are not specifically looking for it, it is easy to miss.

TO DIGITALLY EMBOSS:
The key is to have the background layer and the stamp the same color then add a light colored drop shadow.  As an example here is how I did the piece for my card:

1.  Fill a punch with Pistachio Pudding
2.  Add the Decorative Dots stamp on top.  Change the color to Pistachio Pudding.  (The stamp will seem to disappear.)
3.  While you still have the stamp selected click on the "Drop Shadow" button.
4.  This screen will appear.
5.  Change the Opacity to 60% and change the color to Whisper White.
6.. Click OK and the embossing will appear!

Here is an additional tip:  I really like the quality of the cards when they are printed through Stampin' Ups print service; they are a heavy weight card stock and the colors are vibrant.  Since I wanted this to be a hybrid card with raised layers I had two cards printed with just the background on the card front.
I also had one card printed with these images on both the front and inside of the card:
Once I received the printed product, I trimmed these pieces with my paper trimmer and put them on the card fronts with several layers of Stampin' Dimensionals.  (I had also have two extra Happy Birthday images for other projects.)

In the end, I had three cards printed to make two completed cards with layers.

Supplies: 
Decorative Dots and Petal Parade digital stamps, Sweet Sorbet digital Designer Series Paper (all included with the One Big Sale-a-bration Digital Ensemble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment